Sunday, June 26, 2011

London Excel Motor Show 2006

The motor show at London docklands excel was a collection of new cars, concept design and all the new innovation in car safety on display; I was very impressed with the safety aspect of the French manufacturer Renault. This motor show had a collection of cars worth about ?10 million, which in my opinion was not enough with the apparent absent of was some manufacturers of big super cars such as Ferrari, but still there was a decent collection of cars on display.

One of the showstoppers for me was the new Cadillac Escalade 2007 it looked slick and a bit longer than the older models, the interior was awash with the latest gargets needed to get around in your very own sitting room on wheels, as we well know the American manufacturers have the best in technology and comfort build into their cars, and here in this show the American car manufacturers made a impressive showing of the muscle they can muster. Chrysler presented a 2007 model of the Chrysler 3000 touring salon and estate, the salon I like but the estate did not make my blood move, this model offers a standard choice of 4 engine size in Europe, another American in the show was the Jeep another 2007 model commander the design for the jeep has always remained the same not much change in it's general design. According to their information pack which I picked up in the show they are calling this is a "product offensive that will continue to grow with new offerings that leverage jeep legendary leadership in 4X4`s". As for me I don't see how they can keep saying that jeep is a leader in 4X4`s when we have the land rovers and the Japanese's 4X4s to contend with, And finally in the Dodge Calibre and Nitro. The Nitro looked like something out of Star Wars more like the helmet of a storm trooper maybe it's because I am into sci- fi that why I see it that way.

We must not forget the Europeans they came to the show with their usual style I must confess the new Peugeot 907 was a sight to see it was slick and even standing still it looked like it was doing 200miles /hour down the autobahn. The Germans did not disappoint us with their usual precision in their engineering with the new looking Mercedes Mclaren which I am sure has all the technologies from it's formula one racing cars have being incorporated into this road car, as well as news designs of super-cars we saw the new Alfa Romeo spider looking as slick as the way the Italy's always build their cars looking so sexy as they do with their cars. As for the British they did not disappoint at all they came their usual style of gentile and luxury with Bentley, am sure we will be seeing the new Bentley in a new rap video because it is a car to behold. Other British car manufacturers such as land rover and I liked the new freelander a lot. As well as the new and improved range rover.

The BMWs were outside of the show, which I think was a mistake on their part because only people that love BMW would have noticed as you walked into the show, but they too fielded a wide range of car that would make a boy racer jump for joy and the A listers celeb enjoy the luxury of the 7 series BMW I was throw aback when I saw the 4 door version of a Aston martin as far as I am concerned it is the worst car in the show no matter what anyone tell me Aston martin should remain a 2 door super car, the version I saw at the show looked like a mix of a Aston martin front and a vectra rear which I know would be a huge mistake if they go on to mass manufacture that version it may end like the mistake that befell the De Lorean DMC-12.

The Asia manufacturers such as Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Honda, and Mazda came with new cars to the show Mazda's roadster coupe might be a bit too small for me but it looked like a car you could get for your wife or girlfriend it looks cool, there was the usual mix of Japanese design on the new cars coming onto the market and their vision of the future in their concept cars, these car I call toys I always love to look at what we might be driving in the near future, at this show I did not see as many concept car as I would like but what I saw were of excellent design and bolds well for the future in car design. The car company KIA, was here at the show too releasing a new car onto the market, and I had Luke warm emotions about the car they were designing it seem to me that there is not much of a imagination that company their car looked like any other car on the market but that just my opinion.

The best part of the show for me was the test drive to see how far the technology has progress in terms of safety on 4 wheels I was well impressed. We went onto a test drive section of track for 4X4s the usual rock and logs to drive over and it was ok but what took my breath away was the climb a 35 degree angle I mean I was sitting the cab of the 4X4 and I was looking straight up at the sky, at one point I felt the car was going to topple over onto it's roof and then coming down from our climb the driver took his feet off the pedals and showed us the best safety aspect of the Toyota design which am sure is many other 4X4s.when coming down any steep incline the Toyota slows itself down to allow the car to drive down the steep surface at a stead pace.

I guess you must be there to understand how I felt sitting in the 4X4 thinking it's going to topple over, saying all that my feeling for driving a 4X4 in London has not changed.there is no need to drive such a huge vehicle in London at all.

In all the show there was the coolest car in the show and when I mean cool I mean cool was the display ford put up to advertise it new bio-fuel car. It was a car made of ice, yes ice well not a working car but a life size six and half tonne sculpture of their bio-fuel car the ford focus coupe cabriolet according the new release it took 2 weeks for a team of sculptors in a giant freezer at temperatures of -10deg c.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment